Popular Posts

Sunday, October 22, 2023

There is Always Another Act in Life

Thomas Wolfe famously wrote that "You can't go home again." While many have disputed it, including me, I believe you can always find another home. Perhaps not literally, ut a new act in life. As in the show "Frasier", I have been struck as he always rebonds and set up new stakes. From Boston, to Portland, Chicago, and finally to Boston again (at last count). It reminded me how in my life, I did the same thing. Losing a job in 2005, I was defeated. I knew going to my usual haunts people would ask questions as to what happened. During this timeframe, a romantic relationship dissolved as well, compounding my sadness. Not wanting myself to go to seed, I started every day with a new purpose. Getting up, puttting on new clothes, getting a shave and a shower, I trudged on in life. One day, I decided to go to the next county, where I knew no one, to explore a job opportunity. While in town, I scouted out the downtown for a place to eat. I eventually became a regular and made some new friends. Being a private person, there were details about me I didn't divulfe, and no one asked. I became a familiar face around town, and enjoying going to the diner, coffee shop to read, and tavern.I eventually earned a bachelor's degree after I reapplied to complete my degree the same day I was let go from my job. It eventually lead to another career with good retirement benefits. You may not always be able to go home again per se, but you can always start a new act in life, a new adventure, find new friends, a new job, and enjpying new interests. It could be around the corner, or the next town, or a new career.Just never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment